Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Facebook's Endless Conversation Threads Are Creepy

Yesterday I went to send congratulations over Facebook to an ex-girlfriend who just had her first child. When I landed on the messaging page I had a rather awkward experience. Since Facebook shows your entire messaging history in one column, and since we only used Facebook to communicate at the beginning of our relationship, I was presented with a string of intimate messages from another era that were, let's just say, grossly inappropriate to my current heartfelt message to wish her the best in her new motherhood and her life with her husband. It was as if Facebook had sent me back in time and was denying that my life had different phases and that while I might know the same people across them, I might want to start the conversation afresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment